20 April 2010

Hunter Beer Co./Potters Brewery Pale Ale

This review is about a beaut local pale ale I picked up yesterday at Hunter Beer Co./ Potters Brewery in the Hunter Valley NSW .
I also had it on tap at the brewery's pub as a taster along with all their regulars and a couple of seasonal beers.

They were:

Kolsch

Witbier

Larger

Bock

Chocolate Porter

Pale Ale

Gose (limited)

Oyster stout

Ginger Beer (Sold Out--Maybe next time)



The two that stood out for me were the Oyster Stout (what Guinness really should be!!) and the Pale Ale. Unfortunately the Oyster Stout was all sold out in bottles so I took home a couple of Pale Ales anyway after having a good 'ol chat with the brewer Keith--Top bloke who really knows his PROPER BEER!


Got home (after a chicken burger stop in Kuri Kuri : ) and put the Ale on ice. After it chilled down abit I poured a pint of this slightly straw like amber liquid brew....not much aroma on the nose but after the first gulp you can really notice piney-fruity HOPS are there! Smooth mouth feel and  at 5.2%ABV makes it a great Ale to appreciate and savor after a hard days work or anytime really...

Very enjoyable to drink...  This one really surprised me.
Probably I will go as far to say the one the best pale ales this awesome up and coming craft beer country has to offer...
The pub tap version was so much more bitter and largery --is that a word?? (which I don't mind at all)
I was expecting the same but the bottle conditioned version was so much more smoother and complex in terms of  hoppy goodness.  Went well with some of the cheese we got out there in the valley too!
Definately recommended for all you Pale Ale and IPA fans out there...




I have found over the years if you find yourself at a establishment that serves proper beer its always good to try out the bottled version-if available-- to compare to the tap and vice versa. You never know you might find a absolute gem out there like I have.
Also if you're in this part of the world give the Hunter beer co/Potters Brewery a visit I'm sure the kind lads will look after ya!

No comments:

Post a Comment